Thursday, July 31, 2008

Auction Fever

My daughter and I spent most of the day at one of my favorite auctions. My daughter came to look for items for her new dorm room. Vicky was also in attendance with her husband. The evening before, during the preview, I had spied a large, handpainted entertainment/armoire (approx. 4 ft. by 7") that I had seen before in showrooms at the "Mart" in Atlanta. I decided I would love to have, but felt it would be way out-of-bounds for my pocketbook.

Since it was "new" and a designer piece luck was with me. The first bid actually went all the way down to $25.00! Anyway in the end it was mine and even though it fits so well into an "Old World," Tuscan, or European theme, it might end up in our "formal" living room because its colors are perfect for that room as well as the new rooms. Once it makes it into the house from our Suburban (gas hog, but invaluable for hauling!) I will include a photo.

We also found a small, carved coffee table ($2.00 - probably from India) to go in front of the dorm room futon and a console cabinet ($4.00 - go along the wall to hold the dorm room TV, DVDs, etc. (How different dorm life is today!). We hadn't pulled the console away from the wall at the auction or tried to lift it. When my husband removed it from my car outside of our house I was able to see the back of it for the first time. It was a piece of Drexel Heritage furniture (and was extremely heavy). I then informed my daughter that we would not be painting it (it is a soft yellow with accents of blue/green, which actually fits with her Tri-Delta sorority colors) and that I would probably find a place for it at home in the future!

I found a great end table ($5.00) for the new great room (once the new sofa arrives) and a "pick out" group of 4 milk glass pieces, a white rippled milk glass "Silvercrest" Fenton vase and a Lenox tidbit dish for $5.00. Vicky and husband purchased a beautiful Sheraton, inlaid and burled server/hunt board for a family gift. She also picked up lovely china, rugs, compote, art glass cake stand, wrought iron lamp, small table/chest at great prices. We are both quite frugal and try to control "bidding fever" whenever we attend auctions! Watch out, because there is another auction at the same location next week and we are already getting excited!

Two nights ago, at Home Depot, we were able to find a porcelain tile for the new sunroom floor. It is a ceramic tile which replicates a brick herringbone design. The tile was on clearance and we pounced on it even though we just ordered the tile for the new bathroom and have that to put down as well.

1 comment:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks for leaving me a note! I see that you've probably been visiting me for awhile, but never left a message. So nice to meet you & it looks like we have a lot in common with the yardsales & thrifting. Your auctions sound like a lot of fun & what great prices you got on that furniture. I'll have to come back & see more when you post some pics.

Please come back & visit me again & don't be shy about leaving a message!

Rhoda