Sunday, April 27, 2008

April Showers Continue

A page from my old all-time favorite Mary Engelbreit calendar





Over the weekend we had a brief respite from the rain. On Friday I rode along with my husband to work in order to shop nearer to the big city. I started my quest in a new (to me) thrift store in Kensington, Maryland. It struck me as the kind of place that you would need to check out quite frequently in order to catch a treasure. Friday was not my day for finding my treasure. I decided to move on to Home Goods, a place I could browse in for hours. The clearance aisles were beckoning! I was able to find lavender water for my vintage linens. I had picked out several "black & white" items for the wedding shower, but eventually put all of them back because the backgrounds were more ivory than white. Spent a considerable amount of time going through the clearance aisles, my absolute favorites, but came up empty handed.


On to Marshall's just to make sure there wasn't anything hiding there that had not turned up at Home Goods. No such luck, but enjoyed looking. A.C. Moore was my next stop. I have been trying to find wood or "plastic" shabby embellishments for a hutch I am re-painting and trying to tone down its primitive country look. None to be had at A.C. Moore, but I did purchase a tool for attaching snaps to my "vintage" baby bibs, etc. I have destroyed countless snaps while trying to attach them with several different brands of "snap sets." This tool cost a lot more, but if it works it should save me money in the long run if I don't destroy as many snaps!


Joined my husband for a late lunch at The Cheesecake Factory. Had a great salad and didn't get dessert! After futile attempts to find embellishments at Michaels, Home Depot and Lowe's, I've decided to follow the recommendations of Cindy at My Romantic Home and order them from Do It Yourself Chic.


Saturday morning I got a late start going to a community yard sale. I was able to find a few "buys." I decided to check out a yard sale that had begun on Friday and figured that I would be too late to find much. I was excited to find an assortment of very old books. My lot included three old geography books, a copy of Cicero's orations, several history books and a lovely 1902 poetry book which will be wonderful for collages, scrapbooking and framing. Rain began again in the evening!

Rain continued on Sunday, but we were busy working on our "old kitchen," which is the oldest part of our house. After the Victorian part of the house was added, it was used as a servants' kitchen. Unfortunately for me, during the first 20 odd years of living here the servants were long gone and it was far from the kitchen of my dreams. Our plans now are to turn it into a small library/office.

On this gloomy Monday I have wedding related "to dos" to accomplish, orders from our website and Etsy to package, lots of ironing, continue painting hutch and the list goes on.......

No comments: